How can we improve the learning situation with Maori Boys e.g. personalised learning?
- Relevant programmes for teaching and learning
- Assist them in identifying with their cultural identity / research their own Taonga
- Community involvement
- Role models / mentors / inspirational speakers
- Survey students
- Identify what they are good at
- More home room settings
- Needs based learning
- Positive relationships
- Encourage and provide opportunities for success
- Liason teacher for community / school needed
How can we further engage our community with the school, especially the Maori community?
- Personal contact – oral is better thn letter
- Contact homes more often
- Ruakawa involvement
- Implement a programme like Te Kotahitanga
- Role modeling from the community needed
- Social issues in the town need community help
- Need to access community skills that are available
- Need to liase with local marae
- Provide child care facilities for parents with small children
- Flexible school hours in order to incorporate parents
- Food sessions – hangi, breakfast club, etc.
- Access WINZ, Wananga etc.
- Provide sorting oportunities and community things like gala days, Top Town, etc.