Criteria: Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of personal professional practice.
Reflective question: How do I continue to advance my professional learning as a teacher?
- Identify professional learning goals in consultation with colleagues
- Participate responsively in professional learning opportunities within the learning community
- Initiate learning opportunities to advance personal professional knowledge and skills
Link to the New Zealand Curriculum:
- Teacher professional learning is informed by the reflective use of the Teacher Inquiry model (p.35). What happened as a result of the teaching? What are the implications for future teaching? Is there something I need to change? What strategies are most likely to help my students learn this?
- The school is required to provide an advice and guidance programme for provisionally registered teachers and professional development for registered teachers to enable them to effectively deliver the curriculum
RTC 4 & e-learning – guiding question:
How do I/can I utilise e-learning to further my professional learning and development?
Questions I have asked myself:
- How do I identify what professional learning opportunities would be required and what would be of value?
- Who can best advise me on professional development opportunities?
- What are the obligations of the school to facilitate these opportunities?
- Were professional development goals achieved?
- Did the professional development meet my needs this year?
- Where to now?
- How do I know what to move on to?
- What further professional development do I need?
- How do I reflect in my professional work respect for the cultural heritages of both Treaty partners in Aotearoa New Zealand?
Strategies that have helped me (school processes):
- School management systems and appraisal documentation/practices lead to regular goal-setting and review
- Professional development must align with progress to support continued registration
- Use of focus areas from SAT and conversations with mentor to further inform decisions
- Discussion with mentor and other PRTs on the value and application of professional development
- Membership of an in-school Professional Learning Community (PLC)
Evidence that might support this (classroom processes):
- Professional development undertaken (both in-school and off-site) – recorded in portfolio
- Notes on opportunities taken to learn or practise skills arising from professional development
- Examples of changes made to planning based on professional development opportunity – application of professional development learning
- Examples of sharing my professional development opportunity with others
- Evaluation form/review of professional development goals and planning for future professional development